Mums are usually wonderful and wise but they can make mistakes and give some bad advice.
- “Don’t wash your hair during your periods.”
This is an old Italian belief, together with a ban on having showers and on touching plants – which would die. Hey, lady gardeners, it’s time for weeding!
- “Never contradict your husband, if you want your marriage to survive.” Yea, right.
- “As a woman you have to know how to cook and to clean the house.” I’m not even commenting on this one!
- “Just ignore the bullies and they’ll go away.” Really? That easy?
- “You can be anything you want to be.” Except for being taller/ whiter/ blue-eyed/a different race/ an astronaut/ a supermodel. I’m still waiting to become Queen.
- “Men don’t like women who are too clever”. This sounds to me like pep talk for dumb women.
- “It’s rude to discuss money.” I guess that’s for the same reasons why it’s rude to talk about sex or knickers?
- “Don’t be a quitter.” Good news for smokers. Or bad?
- “Finish everything on your plate.” Even if Grandma overfilled it?
What are the worst pieces of advice your mum (or other family members – dads sometimes speak too) have given you?